What is Shutdown and Turnaround Management:
Shutdown and Turnaround management is a key function in all industry setups. Systematic and planned power shutdowns not only save equipments but also enhance their life. Planning and managing power shutdowns, power outages and turnarounds are a complex and highly demanding function in a factory or office environment. About turnarounds, if not properly planned, controlled or managed, companies would face budget or cost overruns and delays in schedule, which would have negative impacts on customers.
The engineering industry around the world is ploughed with several incidents of poorly managed shutdowns resulting in massive cost overruns and difficulties in resource planning.
The workshop on Shutdown and Turnaround Management conducted by Sahoo gives the participants a complete overview on shutdown techniques from the perspective of his own experience. Standard procedures for an effective shutdown involve application of many principles of good project management with some exceptions, which are explained in the workshop.
Participants who attend the workshop will be able to:
- Understand and implement typical turnaround management techniques
- Manage a simple turnaround project from planning and execution to hand over stage.
- Lead and manage personnel concerned in a turnaround and shutdown project
- Effectively use the shutdown planning and best practices.
- Develop an effective maintenance plan for shutdowns
- Use appropriate techniques to identify risks and manage them effectively
- Meet deadlines and plan complete turnaround projects within the specified budget and period
- Effectively manage available resources for a turnaround project
- Develop the management plan, resource plans, budget and work plans.
- Equip himself or herself with skills required for an effective Turnaround project management
- Develop and improve the performance of productive and competent teams
Who should attend the workshop?
The practicum would be of immense value and interest to:
- Engineering professionals
- Maintenance/supervisory managers
- Construction superintendents and supervisors
- Shutdown/ turnaround coordinators and professionals
- Contract administrators and project engineers
- Operations shutdown coordinators
- Maintenance planning managers
- Planning, scheduling and cost control workers
- Those who belong to inspection, maintenance, materials and safety engineering fields are also encouraged to join the course.
How organizations get benefitted:
- Employees become highly motivated with more confidence in their work
- They can plan and manage shutdowns and turnarounds independently
- Shutdown work quality gets improved with minimal chances of rework
- Shutdown duration can be reduced due to avoidance of unnecessary work and making proper scheduling
- Reduced cost is possible due to effective usage of resources
- There will be only few logistical delays as a result of improved planning and communication
- Risks will be minimized due to effective risk management
Benefits to the participants :
- They will have an edge over others while planning shutdown procedures.
- They can effectively analyze, compile and communicate the initial scope and estimates.
- Workers will have better understanding on how the shutdown/turnaround supports the objectives of the management and can plan accordingly.
- Participants can recognize the shortcomings in the existing planning and scheduling and can make effective contribution for its improvement.
- Trained workers would be viewed as a valued member of the team due to knowledge they have in all spheres of the shutdown and turnaround management.
- Due to the exposure to quality training, participants will exert self-esteem, confidence and a fresh outlook and they would also be good at networking with professionals from other companies that face similar challenges.
- OVERVIEW OF SHUTDOWNS AND TURNAROUND MANAGEMENT
- DIFFERENCES BETWEEN PROJECTS AND SHUTDOWNS
- QUALITY PROCESSES
- SAFETY PLAN
- ISSUES TO BE ADDRESSED IN THE PLAN
- SHUTDOWN WORK IDENTIFICATION
- WORK SCOPE SUPPORT PLAN
- PLANNING THE PLAN
- PLANNING THE WORK
- RESOURCE SCHEDULING
- THE CRITICAL PATH
- THE USE OF CONTRACTORS
- CONTRACT STATEMENT OF WORK
- CONTRACT MANAGEMENT
- SHUTDOWN BUDGETING AND CONTROL
- THE CONTRACTOR MANAGEMENT PLAN
- MANAGING LOGISTICS IN SHUTDOWNS
- RISK MANAGEMENT
- SHUTDOWN EXECUTION
- SHUTDOWN CLOSE – OUT