Fire safety measures and fire evacuation plan is mandatory for every workplace. A minor fire breakdown can lead to major fatalities, damage to valuable properties, and destroy the workplace. And it’s not only dangerous for workers inside the premises also a potential hazard for the environment.
It is important to make sure that the workplace has a proactive fire evacuation plan with effective elements and that should be customized according to workplace structures and its work nature. Potential fire hazards get varies in each workplace, as the work nature differs from one place to another place.
• Alert everyone on work premises and try to activate the nearest fire alarm
• Try to be more cautious and make use of the nearest exit to evacuate from the workplace
• Also, it is important to be aware of the fire extinguisher location & emergency exits
• Be careful and make use of a fire extinguisher to put off the fire only if you know about handling fire extinguishers
• During the evacuation of a worker be calm and evacuate the building as soon as possible once you hear the fire alarm
• Close and don’t lock escape route /window /door when you try to escape from fire this may help to cut off spreading smoke and fire to other rooms.
• Assemble in the gathering point (safe zone) and inform concerned superiors that you are safe
If a fire evacuation plan is created it is necessary to implement and practice the plan in the concerned place , as fire drill / mock drill practices on a regular interval of time are much important for the team.
An appropriate mock drill is an integral part of the safety plan at the workplace, as fire drills aids in saving lives as well as the infrastructure by getting fire at the workplace. Ensure that every employee is familiar with fire safety rules and company’s rules, this should also be posted at a visible part inside the work premises.